Saab has a refreshed 9-3 for the 2012 model year that will be unveiled next week in Geneva. In addition to the new 9-3, Saab has also announced the limited edition Saab 9-3 Convertible Independence Edition.
The Saab 9-3 Convertible Independence Edition celebrates the first anniversary of Saab’s independence from GM and the 25th anniversary of Saab’s first convertible. The limited edition convertible is based on the Aero trim model and is only available with the 180-hp 1.9L turbo diesel mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. It’s further distinguished on the outside by an amber orange metallic paint and five-spoke 18-inch wheels. Inside there are parchment sport leather seats, a carbon fiber look leather finish on the instrument panel and an orange stitched leather steering wheel.
Only 366 units will be produced.
2012 Saab 9-3 Gets a Facelift
LIMITED EDITION SAAB CONVERTIBLE CELEBRATES FIRST YEAR OF INDEPENDENCE
• Saab celebrates year of independence with launch of numbered limited edition
• Saab 9-3 Convertible Independence Edition based on Aero specification
• Unique colour and interior trim features
• Available with 1.9-litre TTiD 180hp engine and six-speed automatic transmission
Saab is celebrating the first anniversary of its independence by launching an exclusive Independence Edition of its 9-3 Convertible. Just 366 examples will be produced, one for each day during the first year and one extra for the start of a second year. Only 80 of these vehicles will be produced for the UK, ensuring its exclusivity.
Unveiled at Saab’s assembly plant in Trollhättan as part of a day of celebration, the Independence Edition features a unique, Amber Orange metallic paint finish. It is based on top-of-the-line Aero specification and includes a limited edition serial number etched into the rear side windows.
The Independence Edition is further distinguished by:
• Five spoke, 18-inch alloy wheels with a satin chrome/black finish
• Parchment sport leather seats and glovebox with amber orange highlights
• Carbon-fibre look leather finish for the instrument panel, handbrake, gearshift moulding and door handles
• Driver ‘welcome’ message in instrument display, unique turbo boost gauge
• Orange stitched sport leather steering wheel and carpet mats with grey piping
The sole powertrain offered is a 180 hp, 1.9-litre twin turbo diesel with a six-speed automatic transmission.
The Independence Edition follows a successful tradition of special Saab Convertible models launched at springtime. This year also marks the 25th anniversary of the start of sales for the first Saab Convertible, a car which created a segment as a true four season, four seater convertible.